Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Miss Carrera: Teacher's Report Card

Written: May 8, 2008

My project presentation for English 4 was a success!!! Let me tell you the story...

Ms. Uriarte, my English teacher, challenged me for extra credit by changing my last name…and portraying the future. I only do this for a minimum of 20 minutes, and she didn't tell me what the extra credit was worth. So I took the challenge. (This is one of the many challenges I faced, including the one from Marrujo, my Biology teacher).

So, I will change my last name…to Adam's last name: Carrera. It seems to fit me, so I won't have to be annoyed by people calling me "Miss Gonzalez"…that is so 7th grade.

I have to be a "Teacher 4 a day" (well, 20 minutes at least) and using the name "Miss Carrera" would confuse people…except for Ms. Uriarte…she already knows. And I'm not doing this because I want to get married…yet…but who knows…

I have to teach the students the poem "To The Virgins, To Make Much Of Time" by Robert Herrick. I have 20 minutes to teach the poem by reading it, discussing it, and giving them something to do. I had my lesson plan ready. I will choose students to read the poem, then play a song from the CD ("Seize The Day" by Avenged Sevenfold), and pass out post its and ask them how the song relates to the poem…

It's kinda funny because I am not referred as "Miss Gonzalez" for 20 minutes. I am Miss Carrera. And pretty much people…remember!! Everyone got the poem and understand it, they gave me really good answers when relating the song "Seize the day" to the poem. My time expired right before the song ended, but Ms. Uriarte gave me more time.

I ended my teachings by a bio of Robert Herrick. Explaining about his life. And I explained my opinion and final thoughts about the poem. And ended with a smile.

So, I overcame my biggest challenge, and changed back my last name to Gonzalez. No more Miss Carrera for me.

At the end of the period, I received my grade…I GOT AN A+!!!!!!

"Miss Carrera---Awesome work!! Creative!! Perhaps you could talk about Carpe Diem a little more. Overall AWESOME!!!. J"

-Ms. Uriarte

Maybe I was meant to be a teacher after all…but I am still undecided…Too many career choices. But anyways…I am so impressed that I got an A on my Teacher project. I am so surprised. But…

No comments: